I was wandering on emusic this week and noticed a familiar name, one I hadn't thought of in a while. It was Charlie Louvin, from the Louvin Brothers. To be honest, I was hesitant at first, I mean Louvin hasn't released an album in over ten years, but I am so glad I did. This country music legend has put out an album of epic proportions!
The self titled release is being put out through Tompkins Square Records and was recorded in Nashville during the Spring and Summer of 2006. It features guest performances by a who's who list including Elvis Costello, Jeff Tweedy, Will Oldham, Tom T. Hall, George Jones, Bobby Bare Sr., Tift Merritt, Marty Stuart, David Kilgour, and members of Bright Eyes, Lambchop, Superchunk, Blanche and Clem Snide.
What was really nice to hear, is that the album features several Louvin Brothers classics as well as country favorites first popularized by Jimmie Rodgers, the Delmore Brothers, the Carter Family, and the Monroe Brothers. The music here is absolutely tremendous. Louvin's 79 year old vocals warble you back to simpler times of front porch swing memories and campfire family revivals. Think of this as Louvin's version of Johnny Cash's American Recordings or Kris Kristofferson' s This Old Road, and if you're a fan of any of the artists listed above, then give this album a chance, and see where you favorite artists got some of their roots and influences.
mp3 Knoxville Girl
1. Must You Throw Dirt In My Face (w. George Jones)
2. Great Atomic Power (w. Jeff Tweedy)
3. Blues Stay Away From Me (w. Bobby Bare Sr. & Tom T. Hall)
4. The Christian Life (w. Eef Barzalay of Clem Snide)
5. When I Stop Dreaming (w. Elvis Costello)
6. Waiting For A Train (w. George Jones)
7. Kneeling Drunkard's Plea (w. Alex McManus of Bright Eyes)
8. Worried Man Blues (w. Kurt Wagner of Lambchop)
9. Grave On The Green Hillside (w. Tift Merritt & Joy Lynn White)
10. Knoxville Girl (w. Will Oldham)
12. My Long Journey Home (w. Paul Burch)
Download Charlie Louvin